Acknowledgement for Posters and Manuscripts
General Information for Poster Presentations
Recommended Mission Statement
The mission of the Wetlands Committee is to promote the construction of campus wetlands suitable for aesthetic, ecological, educational, and research purposes.
Wetland Committee Goals:
- Develop wetlands to improve water quality of runoff delivered to receiving streams.
- Develop wetlands to increase biotic diversity with native wetland plants, followed by the succession of microorganism and animal populations.
- Develop wetlands to provide educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students across disciplines.
- Develop wetlands to provide research opportunities for students and faculty across disciplines and colleges.
- Develop wetlands to create a living laboratory for outreach in K-12 education projects, and community relation events.
- Develop wetlands to enhance the beauty of our Campus landscape.
The Wetlands Committee currently includes a growing number individuals (44 as of Feb 2017), from across academic and administrative units including STEM related departments, Education, Sustainability, Environmental Studies, and Facilities and Grounds, Greensboro Science Center and the City of Greensboro Water Quality Division.
Partnership with the Greensboro Science Center
The Partnership with the Greensboro Science Center is one that expands across research and education. The Center is working closely with key members of the committee regarding bat monitoring, biodiversity in riparian habitats, and water quality. The partnership is expected to expand into other projects involving outreach education.
- Conduct educational research that utilizes the UNCG wetlands
- Design a science outreach training program that partners undergraduates in biology with graduate students in education
- Integrate science outreach training program into university coursework for sustainable educational programs
- Partner with NC DENR to develop and utilize new educational materials related to NC Wetlands
- Provide outreach for K-12 education
- Plan for development of teacher education workshops
- Coordinate activities for the NC Science Festival
- Try to secure funds for the development of a real-time data website
- Partner and coordinate with local schools, districts, high school department chairs, homeschool groups and charter schools
- Create Do’s and Don’ts brochure for accessing wetlands
Acknowledging the UNCG Wetlands Project
We would like to thank the following for making the Wetland Installation and research possible: The City of Greensboro, Greensboro Science Center, UNCG Bat and Mouse Lab, UNCG Biology Department, UNCG Chemistry Department, UNCG Geography Department, UNCG Office of Provost, Peabody Park Preservation Committee, UNCG Office of Sustainability, The UNCG Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creativity Office, UNCG Facilities Design and Construction, UNCG Facilities Grounds and Garage, and the community of volunteers aiding with the installation of the Wetlands. The Wetlands Project is funded by grants from the Duke Energy Water Resources Fund, the UNCG Green Fund, and the UNCG Provost Office.